Sunday, July 5, 2009

Recession and me not working is taking a toll - March 28

Doyle and I had a really good sit down on Friday and again on Saturday and went through everything we want to do here...with the horses, kids and renovations (inside and out).

We have decided to seriously cut back on our horse expenses this year - especially with the recession and me not working. So Gunner will be coming home by the end of April and this is a permanent change. This came about due to Jason's time constraints with his own training schedule and then show schedule being very large and not having much time to spend with Melissa and Gunner. Melissa's need for lessons etc. was also going to be cut back seriously during May and June as Jason would not do lessons while Gunner was breeding. So after considering all that (plus the cost of Gunner being there) we decided to just bring him home and end his show career and to really try to push for a breeding career.

We have also decided to only breed a few mares this year. Rondee will be bred to Gunner in May. And Gidget will be bred to Dale Dodd's stallion. And Dolly to either Molson (if the lady that bought him every gets back to me) or to Gunner.

As for training the girls...I am sort of at a loss. I went to meet the new trainer girl today. She is very personable...very keen...but not overly organized (she had NO boots today to ride in). The facility is fantastic...the pens are well put together. My girls, when there, will have a pipe pen all to themselves with a little shelter. I was very happy when she said she could accommodate that request. I also told her that the horses HAVE to be used to being ridden OUTSIDE as that is all I have available to me here. I am also welcome to stop by at anytime - WITHOUT notice.

Now I have to decide who is going. Doyle and I discussed and at first with Gunner at Jason's, we had decided on only one mare going for training - and only for one month. So we had thought Ding. But now with Gunner coming home, I may be able to squeak 2 or 3 months of training. So Gidget will join Ding at the trainers. In discussing with Paige, she said that Rondee's foal will be worth more than that of Ding and Gidget so it would be better to send them for training and hold off on Rondee. And I have to agree with her. Rondee would need more training than I can afford this year. And having two green horses here for me and Melissa to ride is enough.

On the renovation front, we are going to finish the outside wood pens this year and do a paint job on the barn...all stuff we already have the supplies for. If we can manage it, Doyle wants to finish doing the floor in the tv room and the new office. After that, we are done renovating for at least a year.

This recession is making us make some decisions that we didn't think we would have to this year but that's okay. It has been good to take stock of everything and make the decisions. Now to make sure we stick to them. LOL

No comments: