Saturday, July 18, 2009

Interview at Shell - May 13

Well, I had one today. And it went GREAT. Or at least it felt like it.

The job is out at the Shell Scotsford Refinery in Fort Saskatchewan. Around a 40 minute highway drive.

I met up with the "boss" (aka "K") and he took me on a tour of the place. We talked about the job...and he showed me where the guys all work. We then went into his office (an ATCO trailer) and we sat down with his 2nd in command, "D". They told me about the position and asked me a few questions.

The job is basically to take over the billing operation for this department. It may also involve data entry of other things, and going to meetings. So it sounds like it could really evolve.

D's first questions for me were "have you ever worked in a place like this". I answered "yes". He smiled and nodded. Then "does it bother you to work around all men?". I answered "no". He smiled and nodded again. Then "So swearing isn't going to bother you?". I said "ummm...no.". He smiled and laughed and said "thank god". LOL

They both said they were extremely impressed with my resume...were thankful that I had other "industrial" construction experience...and then asked when I could start. I said "immediately".

They looked relieved. We then talked about the hours of work and wage. K has been begging and putting in requistions for an admin for 3 months. Shell finally gave him the go-ahead but did put limitations on the job as to hours of work and wage. But as more of the area is developed and more of the facilities are built for this group, the duties will expand and so will the hours. K said at the most the hours for this position would be 8 hrs/day for 5 days one week and 4 days the next...same hours as K. the day starts at 7:30 - so I am figuring that it would end around 2 pm to start with.

K then took me on a little bit larger tour of the refinery and said "will let you know on Friday".

So here's hoping!!!

No comments: