Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gidget going well - April 17

Gidget has been with Shannon for a week and a day. Has been ridden 6 times (had last weekend off due to Easter). She has had her feet done.

All reports are good...from Shannon and the farrier who worked on her.

Shannon has been riding her by herself, with one other horse and with a group of horses (the group was practicing their jumping) and, so far, there have been no issues. Shannon is really liking Gidget's willingness to work and how calm and accepting of everything she is.

When I arrived, Gidget was standing in the cross ties - patiently. Shannon finished tacking her up and while I went to get my camera, she started lunging her. What a lazy thing she is. She has to be "chased" with the lunge whip to get her to move out or she just trots slowly...won't lope at all unless made to. LOL

Shannon then got on, and after a few tack adjustments (stirrups put up shorter as she was reaching)...off they went.

I did a bit of teaching today as well. Shannon is an english trained rider and is switching over to western. I had to remind her a few times to "loosen the reins".

Gidget is very relaxed with Shannon but is a little pushy. So that was my other comment to Shannon - get after her...she is not the boss. And once she did, Gidget really settled in and worked good and hard. She is walking, trotting both directions with ease and looks very fluid. Shannon is doing small and large circles, straight lines and figure 8s with her inside.

She did ride outside yesterday she said - and loped in the round pen - it is a more confined area so she feels more confident right now in there at the lope.

After about 45 minutes, I asked if I could ride. Got on and showed Shannon a few other things that I figured Gidget may have learned at Jason's. Like the tight turn on the haunches...and she did. Shannon asked me to show her slowly what I did with my hands - remember she is english and is really having to concentrate on the no mouth or little mouth contact. I also showed her more of how I sit and ride and ask for leg aides.

Shannon then got back on and did what I had been doing - with me correcting if it wasn't quite what I did - and things got even better.

So we are all happy!!!

No comments: