Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bay colt - May 23

Dolly foaled a red bay colt this morning between 12:30 and 1 am.

As I was crawling into bed, I looked out the window to check Dolly from and saw her lay down - get up - lay down. Said to Doyle...Dolly's foaling. Ran out of the bedroom, grabbed the camera and the flashlight and went out.

Saw the whole thing - only my 2nd birth ever watched from beginning to end. And the first of one of my own. Strange that it only took me 28 years to finally see one at home.


He is tall (for a cutter), nice head. Red bay - not Dolly's normal dark black/brown bay. Has 1 or 2 socks (really short ones) and maybe a snip. No dun characteristics at all that I can see.


Doyle also watched.

Baby has pooped and Dolly has passed the afterbirth. Just in to warm up as it is chilly. Doyle and I are going to put a bunch of hay into the big stall and put them inside. Then will make sure he nurses.


He is already bucking and trying to run...so thinking he is pretty healthy.

Thank goodness - it is done - and done safely.

No comments: