Saturday, July 18, 2009

Foaling and Breeding Season 2009

Dolly is following her pattern to a "t". Started dripping milk at some point this morning. it is starting to flow heavier. So we should have a baby in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

I am very excited...sire is Molson. So this will make Sly a grandpa!!!

May 22

Both Rondee and Ding were in strong tonight. Debated breeding...brought Gunner out...and got the deed done with Rondee. We debated Ding but ??? I just don't know about breeding her this year (she is 3). Her and Rondee are matched for size and weight...so ???

I was pretty nervous doing this as I have never hand bred before...only pasture bred. Gunner and I have been working on manners and boy did it show. He was extremely well behaved - kept one ear cocked towards me for the most part. I only had to yank on him once and that was when Rondee kicked at him and he wheeled around and kicked back...missed her thank goodness. But other than that, he was really really good. He is also a gentleman...talked..."huffed" at her...smelled and licked and nibbled before mounting.

I do have to build something a little more secure. My farrier was over and she helped me by holding Rondee but the forward motion was almost too much for everyone.

So maybe in 340 days, I will have my first homebred "cutting prospect". I am excited.

No comments: