Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yucky weather - Jan 15 and 16

We still haven't gotten out of the rainy weather this week. We spent most of Thursday and Friday in the room. The kids were doing homework and Doyle and I were relaxing.

I worked on some photography stuff. I must be missing something as I am not able to do some stuff that I think I should be with my camera. I did get some audio cd's with my course, but don't have a cd player with me. Maybe that is where my extra info is on how to do things.

On Thursday, Doyle and I booked a tour just for the two of us to go and see a jewelry factory. The stuff they have at the resort is absolutely STUNNING so I would imagine that this place will be pheonominal!!!

We arrived at the factory via taxi and were taken in and introduced to our tour guide. We were told where things were located in the store...as well as how the pricing would work. Sounded interesting. The guide then said we were free to go and shop. So off we went - after asking him where the diamonds were located - as I was still looking for a pendant.

He took us over to a "private room" where the diamond jewelry was. They had black, green, blue, yellow and white diamonds. BEAUTIFUL STUFF!!! But way way way out of our price range, even for the small stuff.

This tour guide guy just wouldn't leave us alone after that. Everytime I would stop and look at something, he was grabbing it out of the case. It got annoying.

We finally found a few little trinkets in silver to get for Autumn and Coreen as well as a couple things for Mark and Luke. We then decided to get Rose and my mom each a gold and silver pendant with their names engraved on them in mayan letters.

After everything was paid for, we went out to find our taxi only to find that THEY HAD LEFT US BEHIND. Wasn't that nice of them? We were then grouped with another two couples who had the same thing happen to them. WOW...not great service.

After we got back to the resort, we went and ate dinner.

Friday was the same type of a day - lazy, rainy, windy. I spent some time on the internet...and more time helping Shayne work on his english. He sure struggles with that subject.

By mid-afternoon, it had cleared up enough that the kids wanted to go to the pool...so off we went. They played in the water and Doyle and I went for a walk down to the beach.

It was very windy and the water was pretty rough. I took a picture of the pier and the water from the beach:




I got these great wave/water shots from the pier:




And these are a couple pics of the resort from the end of the pier:



For supper tonight, we went to the Tremonto Restaurant at the resort. This is a fairly fancy place, dress code in effect and all. We had a great waiter named "Angel". He tried to charm Bailey but it didn't work. It was lobster night. Doyle, Shayne and Bailey each ordered that and I just had steak (I think I was done with the seafood by then). The restaurant also has an opera singer who goes around the place singing in different places...and it has a violin player. Bailey was very enthusiastic about that after seeing his "electric" violin. Both were very talented.

We headed back to the room fairly early that night and just relaxed by watching a movie while it rained some more outside.

No comments: