Friday, January 23, 2009

Computer woes

It was a horrible start to December. My laptop crashed. Sort of.

It would freeze up after shutting down...which I thought was weird. When starting up again...all the lights on the keyboard would come on...you could hear the cd drive kick in...and then NOTHING.

I took it into Computer Geek Squad and they played with it and all was well.

For a few days, at least.

Then it started again. It didn't matter what I did...it was just dead.

Doyle took it into work and one of his co-workers took it apart and THE PROCESSOR DIED. So that meant a shopping spree to get a new one.

In the meantime, my tower was now acting up as well. Numerous programs would no longer function and my new "much loved" high speed internet connector could not be read by it.

I tried to download all new drivers and all the security stuff from microsoft but being on dialup meant that the computer was out of commission for hours at a time. And once all those were downloaded, NOTHING worked. So then it was off to do a "system restore".

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite laptop and LOVE IT. The keyboard is fantastic...and it is sooo LIGHT. I took the old laptop and the new one into Geek Squad and they hooked them up and did a data transfer. So far so good...nothing missing.

Once that was done, my tower has gone into them to be fixed as well. If all goes good with that one...I will take in the really old one and get it done up for the kids.

No comments: