Sunday, January 25, 2009

Being brave - Jan 7

On Wednesday morning, we got up early and had breakfast in our room. We had to be out at the main gate of the resort for 8 am to go on our first excursion. We were headed out to Adventurous Tours. There we were expecting to go on a Zipline, ride horses and quads and boats.

A view of some of the Zipline course:


When we arrived, however, we found out that the only thing we were signed up for was the Zipline. Bailey "bailed" fast once she took a look at it. After a short safety course, it was off and "zipping". They put us into harnesses, and gave us "tree branches" for brakes. I braved it out and tried. Shook the entire way through. It was fun but I don't think I would do it again.

Our crew:
Shayne and I already at the first post - Doyle arriving:
Shayne headed to post two:
Me headed to post two:

Shayne and Doyle, however, were thrilled with the entire experience. And I would imagine they will be back at it next time.

When we left the Zipline, we headed to Puerto Morales. It is a small town in between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. The taxi driver took us down to the beach where we found a guy to take us out snorkelling. This was a very cool tour. We were the only family with this one guide...so we thought it would be great for Bailey and I (we are not great swimmer and very nervous).

We went out to the reef and got our gear on - life jackets were provided by the boat. And over the side we went. Well, I freaked when I hit the water. My life jacket was too big and up to my ears it went. I grabbed it and hauled it down and in the process broke my necklace and lost my diamond pendant. Not a great start.

We got our masks figured out and headed off over the reef. Saw some great little fish...but the guide was just a madman...going here and there. We told him a couple times to slow down - that Bailey and I were not swimmers - but that didn't seem to sink in.

We did see a bunch of stuff (a small baracuda and some bright blue fish and some huge schools of a light grey fish) but it was not a great time for Bailey and I. We were exhausted because we ended up just swimming instead of being able to just float at times and enjoy the sealife. We finally gave up and got back in the boat. Shayne and Doyle lasted a little longer but not much. I think if we would have had a less enthusiastic guide who didn't really want us to see EVERYTHING, we would have had a better time. But I am still proud of Bailey and myself for getting into the ocean (especially off the side of a boat) and trying.

In this picture you can see the small boat in the distance where the waves are breaking, that is where we snorkeled.


When we were done with that tour, we found a cute little restaurant on the beach and had lunch. There was a small "band" there that I got a couple pictures of. None of us had ever seen a harp being played before. This guy was EXCELLENT.


I also noticed these bird flying around over the building next to the restaurant. I could not find anyone who could tell me what kind of birds they were...but I thought they were cool looking. Too bad it wasn't a sunnier day out so I could get better shots of them.


We headed back to our resort just before it started to pour rain.

No comments: