Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How my world fell apart - Jan 17


When we got back to the resort on Saturday night, I went to the internet cafe to check on messages etc.

Melissa and I had been in close contact because of Lucky (my old horse).

I knew something was wrong when I got her two messages that day. I e-mailed Paige and got no response. So I switched over to facebook. Paige was online and when asked if she got my e-mail she said "Yes...I am so sorry".

I about lost it right then and there. I just said "gotta go". And held myself together long enough to get into our room. Once inside, however, there was no holds barred. I lost it. Doyle thought maybe something had happened to parents, kids...until he got close enough to hear me say "Lucky's gone".

I was sooo distraught that I didn't even want him to touch me. I shook for over an hour.

I finally got ahold of my parents and they told me what had happened.

Melissa had gone out to feed in the morning and Lucky was laying down. That, in itself, is not normal. She was also laying down in the barn...totally not normal. She ran back into the house and called me...but of course, I couldn't be reached. She then called my parents in BC. They told her to keep and eye on her. She went to check and Lucky was flat out on her side. And foaming at the mouth.

She ran in, bawling herself, and called my parents. They told her to call the vet. In the midst of all this, Melissa was also chatting with one of my internet friends, Desiree. Desiree told her to do the same things as my parents did.

So the vet was called. And it was determined that Lucky had gone toxic. All her organs had started to shut down and she was dying. And nothing could be done to slow it down and to stop her suffering long enough for me to get home to be there for her. So they made the right decision and put her down.

The vet was great. Helped her cover Lucky up and get the barn as safe as it could be from preditors.

While this devastated me...and will for a while...I had an idea it was coming, and had told my parents that at Christmas. I wish, and you know what they say about hindsight, that I had put Lucky down in the fall. I knew she wasn't long for this earth but she kept rallying and tricking me.

I will NEVER EVER forget this stubborn old horse. We lived together for many more years than most do.

RIP Lucky!!!

No comments: