Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wednesday Woes

Wednesday dawned dark and dismal. Forecast called for cold and rain for most of the day. My first though on hearing that on the radio before I got up was "typical".

After the kids went off to school, I played on the computer for a bit...then got BUSY on the house. And it just sparkled by noon. I did the kitchen, family room, living room, dishes, cleaned the fridge and the stove.

And all to keep myself busy so I wouldn't mope while waiting for the vet to arrive at 1.

Doyle came home early from work and my girlfriend Sharon came over so I would have some support.

The backhoe arrived at noon and went to work.

At 1, the vet arrived and she did a thorough exam on Lucky - who was scheduled to get her teeth done. Vet determined that there was nothing we could do for her teeth. Suggested a mush grain diet for her and just hay in the winter for "something to do". Vet also determined that her overall health is fantastic for her age (31 years old).

Then it was on to Sonny (black gelding that I have for sale). He needed his teeth done as well. Vet really liked him and his personality.

then it was on to the rough stuff. We went into the stall with Semi and Copy and they were given a small shot of tranq. Then it was Odie's turn (our old man dog).

We lead them out to the pasture (after getting a couple pictures of the old girls). Both were good on their final walk. They went very peacefully over the rainbow bridge. We stayed with them for a little while and talked about them with the vet - told her their life stories...the good and bad parts that we knew. And she cried a little bit with us.

We went back to the barn where Odie was slowly slipping away. The vet helped him cross over too. It was extremely peaceful for him as well.

It was a very hard day for us all...but we know it was for the best. All three of these loved pets were here until they showed us that they just couldn't be anymore. And I think we gave them the best there was to be right to the end.

We will never forget them!!!

Carrie

1 comment:

Elly'sMom said...

You did the right thing Carrie. I hope I have the courage to do as you when it's any of mine's time. I've done it with cat's and dog's but never a horse of my own. This is undoubtedly the hardest decision that any loving animal owner has to face. My heart goes out to you, and please know that your in my thoughts and prayers.