Monday, September 17, 2007

Heavenly Angels

On Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 2 pm, Semi Sweet Doc (AQHA chestnut mare) and Copy Roan Bar (AQHA red roan mare) and Odie (unkwown pedigreed dog) crossed over the rainbow bridge.

All three went extremely peacefully...for which I will be forever grateful.

Semi was my "pretty lady". She was also my "grain pig". She will never be forgotten for her toughness in the face of adversity - and she faced lots this year (go back to the earliest posts of my blog to see her injury). Her whinny everytime you went outside was just so joyful - and made my heart sing everytime - even though I knew it was more because that meant she was getting grain - but it still was a beautiful sound.



Copy, my "copper kettle" as I called her. My poor old lady. She lived the life of a queen here. I never asked of her more than she was willing to give. She also had a lot of firsts under my ownership - she wore blankets in the winter. Had her halter changed to a nice one from a ratty old thing. She also got to feel what a brush felt like at times. she also lived her last 3 summers WITHOUT a foal at side - got to be just a horse - not an incubator.




And little man Odie. What can I say. He was a cool old dog. 12 years old when we inherited him along with the purchase of our farm. He taught our dogs how to protect the property, how to accept all the CATS with dignity. And was always the first to meet my parent when they came for a visit - even if he was deafer than a doornail for anyone or anything else.



All three were buried together on the hill out back - friends forever.

I have spent the last couple days in quiet contemplation. Looking out the windows at the horses...walking amongst them just patting and hugging those that will allow.

I know I did what was best for all three of my cherished friends...and while it will be hard for a long time to go out and not see them...I know I can go out to their grave and talk to them.

Carrie

1 comment:

Desiree Thomas said...

I feel so bad for you but I'm sure it was for the best.. My mare that died last year I can't even go to her grave I pass way around it usually not on purpose but find I do it without thinking...
Desiree