Thursday, September 13, 2007

UH OH - strike???

I have been a little concerned this week with my new job.

There is a "wild cat" strike going on with all the trades here. And one of the job sites affected and one of the companies affected is where I am supposed to be on Monday.

After calling the HR department on Tuesday, I finally got a response today on what I am to do on Monday.

I am to report to work at 9:30 - not 7. And work until 5 - not 5:30. At least on Monday. They will assess the situation for tuesday at that time.

Apparently the workers have been told to GET BACK TO WORK.

I hope things work out...otherwise I am in a bit of a spot for finances. EEPS

Carrie

1 comment:

Elly'sMom said...

Eh Strikes don't generally last that long. Are you going to be joining a union? If so how are the union's up there? They like to "play" hard ball here, but are more threatening then anything else. We once had to deal with a strike where they decided it would be great fun to block the roads with thier tractor trailers. That was loads of fun. Not.

The Teamsters finally got what they wanted to some degree and all went back to the way it was, but, while the strike was on, we were not to allow non union (scabs) people in to deliver anything, it caused quite a mess. Especially when the driver of the vehicle was just trying to do his job. Ugh.... Unions are good, but they are also bad in a lot of ways.

The union I belonged to sucked, we didn't have enough power to do anything. Especially strike. We stupidly were considered essential personnel and had a no strike clause in our contract. One I fought tooth and nail, but the head of the union said it Had to be in there. Oh well, you give the power back once you give the right to strike away. It was a no win situation for us there. Such is life.

Hang tight and just do as they tell you to, strikes are usually over before you know it. ;)