Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Farriers and frustrations

Got up the morning of August 27 and waited patiently for the farrier to arrive.

Had moved Semi into the barn the night before and let the big group meander into her pasture - which they did happily - so that everyone was easily caught and brought into the barn for him.

By 9:30 I had made my first phone call - had to leave a message. Called him again at 10:45 and left yet another message.

At 11:50, he called back and he said "Did we have an appointment???"

I said - umm...yup. We made it after the last time you cancelled on me...with very short notice. You gave me the date and time.

He said - sorry...I forgot to write you in my book. So can we do another day?

My response was that I could only do next monday which is the holiday and I know you don't work weekends. He said that he would come on Saturday for me cause he felt bad. Then he proceeded to tell me that his rates had gone up - to $40 a trim.

Now my frustrations with all this is - he is a great farrier. But turning into not so great of a business man.

I have a very hard time getting farriers out here because I live "in the middle of no where" according to most of them. I am 35 miles to the nearest city. But only 2 miles off one of the major highways in the province.

I don't get it. I pay whatever the farrier asks for because I know I am over a barrel.

I know I will keep waiting and waiting for him - and paying his ever increasing rates - but what else can I do???

Carrie

1 comment:

Paige said...

That is a common problem with farriers--getting a good reliable one is virtually impossible.

At least he made accommofations for his error