Friday, September 21, 2007

One week under my belt

I made it - at least through the first week.

It was quiet for the most part. Spent the first day in orientation. Then the next two in the file room. They are very behind due to the number of employees...so it has been great for them to have us three new girls there to help them get caught up.

We, meaning myself, Eve and Rhonda (the other two new timekeepers), are doing individual training with the head timekeeper which is great. Eve went down to the live site on Tuesday as she already has her CSTS course (Construction Safety Training System). Rhonda took hers on Tuesday and went to the plant site on Wednesday while I took my course.

I went to the plant site on Thursday and had a blast. I forgot how much fun it was there. So relaxing even when swamped. The guys were all great and very understanding when I got a big flustered and had to figure out where I was in the system (Pat was helping someone else). But I managed.

The computer system so far seems easy - only 4 screens that I really have to worry about. One is to move men from crew to crew. One is to find out what their time was for the day - and to check to see if they have been paid properly. The other is the "employee information" page...you see when they started, payrate etc. The fouth is the paycheque page just in case you have to print off a new stub for them.

Most of the work seems to be straight forward. If a foreman comes in and wants a man moved from his crew to someone elses, you do that. You also help the foremen put in the guys time every day. they do it but you help if they get stuck - mostly getting stuck is forgetting their passwords. LOL

Thursdays seem to be the busiest though as that is paycheque day. All the guys get is just a printed paystub (all direct deposit). So if there are problems, we go into the computer and see if we can figure it out. If we can, then we send a copy of the paystub to payroll for it to be fixed.

So all in all, I think the job will be great.

Doyle's (hubby) work trailer is also only about 10 feet away from the one I will be in so we will be able to see each other throughout the day. He is also going to spoil me compared to some of the other employees I will be with. I have use of his fridge, microwave and he will be stocking up with pepsi for me as well so I won't have to buy it from the vending machine!! Guess it can't hurt to have connections. LOL

Carrie

2 comments:

Elly'sMom said...

Hey knowing someone there does have it's perks... ;) Sounds like your first week went really well, I'm happy for you Carrie! I think you'll like it there a lot better then where you were before. And being as you'll be there with Doyle that makes it even better!

MicBel QH said...

sounds like your new job is going good, glad you had a good first week!