Sunday, August 17, 2008

My mini-vacation

Mini Vacation – July 28

Doyle and the kids are off camping and I took a couple extra days for myself here at home. Have been working like crazy on the house…doing some website updates for clients and RIDING.

After the wind finally all blew away...I went out and caught up Hyde for our "every 2nd day short ride".

Today was going to be different though as I can't ride in the arena. Molson, Dolly and baby are in the pasture that borders it and I am still not quite comfortable on Hyde to ride him when others will more than likely be running and screaming on the other side of the fence. My arena is an outdoor by the way.

So I decided that we were going to try a mini-trail ride in our front pasture. There is enough distance and trees between where I wanted to ride and the other pastures that I felt comfortable.

So off we went. He had some good impulsion going...more than in the arena. And was keen and eager - looking all around. Not spooking at anything. We rode through a few small bushes...up and over a couple hills (man made)...following Shayne's quad tracks. He looked really closely at the quad tracks going through the swamp but we by-passed that.

Once we got up towards the house and he could see that his pasture was right there, it became a little interesting...a little bit of a test of wills and training. He figured we should go back to the barn...and I wanted to make one more loop. He put up a bit of a fuss...screamed...tossed his head...pranced. I made him do a tight circle and walk on. And HE DID. We got to a clearing and we did a couple turns on the hind quarters (both directions), a reverse, and a couple figure eights. And then started back to the house.

It didn't help that at that point, "someone" started whinnying for him. So he figured he needed to go fast. That also did not happen...and he fussed up again. So another couple tight circles and he walked like a gentleman back to the barn.

So I figure I won this round. It was a little tense on my part but I DID IT.

Sounds like a lot but we were actually only out there for about 15 - 20 minutes. LOL

No comments: