Saturday, August 16, 2008

My first riding lesson

As I need to learn how to handle these well broke cutting horses before they come home, Jason has offered to give me lessons when I am over there. So I went and caught up Hyde...Jason found a saddle that would shorten up enough for my little legs. And off we went for our first lesson together.

We did lots and lots of walking around the arena...tight and wide turns in both directions. Learned how to neck rein him properly...figured that one out myself. Did some trotting.

We rode for about an hour with two breaks - one while Jason worked a young horse on the flag. And one just when we were talking about other horses. Poor Hyde...when that flag started up he stood at attention - ears forward - almost vibrating to go and work. He followed the flag with head and ears the entire time. It even got Gidget's attention for 5 or 6 minutes.

No comments: