Sunday, August 17, 2008

Hyde is such a good boy - August 3

We had a horrific accident yesterday with Hyde.

He laid down WAY TO CLOSE to the fence and rolled over...getting ALL FOUR feet caught in the livestock wire.

I watched him do it from the house...put down the phone...ran to the back room to see him through another window start to struggle. as I am pulling off my socks to put on flip flops (fastest shoes to put on), I yelled WHOA HYDE. And he did. Just stopped and laid there.

So I run out - thank god it is only 150 yards - if that. So then I am thinking - now what??? NO wire clippers...no help...good lord...I am in TROUBLE.

He lifted his head and looked at me and put his head back down. I reached out for his HIND FEET and said DON'T KICK ME!!! he looked at me again and laid there. I got his hind feet out of the wire squares...and started to push him over. Well, I am not very long limbed so we kinda got stuck once he was right overtop of his tailbone. LOL And he was still laying there. I let his feet back down towards me, still saying "easy". He would just lift his head enough to see where I was and then lay it back down. I got his hind feet completely untangled...lifted the wire so his feet were on the ground...and then went to check his front feet. They were okay but not under the wire...so I did the same thing - lifted the wire - thank god it wasn't completely attached to the post that was at his belly.

I yelled at him to stay put...and ran for the barn...hoping to get a rope and put it on a back foot and pull him over from the other side. Well, by the time I got out of the back side of the barn with a halter and lead...he was standing there waiting for me. NOT A MARK ON HIM!!!

I was just stunned. I thought for sure I would be calling a vet on an emergency fix it call or a "put down" call. I then cried a bit...gave him a big hug. MAN HE IS SUCH A GOOD BOY!!!

So this morning, I got up...went out...did chores. Couldn't figure out why my arm hurt. Pulled up my sleeve and have a weird looking bruise (see attached pic). Took me about an hour to figure it out. It is from the wire...and me pushing Hyde's legs up and not having the leverage to push him higher because of the wire pushing into my arm. The bruise continues for another inch or so under the arm yet as well.


There are more lines coming up in bruises...but I don't think they will be so bad - you can see the one starting in the 2nd picture - about 1/2 inch lower - right now it is just two small dots.

I guess if there has to be a small injury from this incident I am glad it is on me and not him.

No comments: