Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dolly foaled - March 30

Our big excitement for the month was waiting for Dolly to have her foal. We were sooo excited for this one. It would be her first foal for us not sired by Sonny. I specifically chose a colored stallion (palomino) in the hopes that she would toss her black and agouti gene and he would toss his cream gene and I would get my buckskin.

Dolly went over to Sharon and Roy's a week before she foaled. We told them all about her "habits" and true to form...she foaled very close to her due date (2 days late). She also followed all her other "signs"...leaking milk 48 hrs before...pouring milk 24 hrs prior.

I got the phone call from Roy on Sunday morning and all he said was "it's here". And out the door we went. When we got there...Roy asked me again what I wanted...I re-iterated "a buckskin filly".

But I was to be disappointed once again because Dolly foaled a chromed up SORREL COLT.



In keeping with the theme of “city/country” names for her foals, we finally decided to call him Phoenix. As for a registered name, with the number of people who told me that his blaze looks like a candle burning, we have come up with “IMA MAJOR FLAME”.

This little man is for sale…either in partnership with Dolly…or on his own at weaning

1 comment:

Elly'sMom said...

He's very cute Carrie.