Sunday, April 27, 2008

Breeding Debate

With the horse market the way it is...we are debating on breeding Dolly. She is 13 this year...can not be ridden due to injuries suffered as a youngster. So her only recourse is to be a broodmare.

Phoenix is her 5th baby for us in the 6 years we have owned her. She is a great mom...nice pedigree...tosses really well put together foals.

Our debate is whether to let her stay open again or to breed her to someone.

Phoenix's sire, Gresham, is one option...and cross our fingers for color this time. I also found a palomino tovero who I really like build and color wise (he is actually almost 85% white). They have a color guarantee on him...so thinking he is homozygous tobiano (??).

Our other option is to breed her to Molson...which would definately not cost us a thing and would give us a 50% chance of a dun - of some sort or another.

I am stumped.

2 comments:

MicBel QH said...

I'm having trouble with the breeding debate myself, who to breed, who to leave open then asking the question How many foals does that make? I'm having trouble keeping it at 2 or 3. Good luck in deciding.

Elly'sMom said...

Well the market can't stay the way it is forever. But, that being said, I'm gelding Cotie so I won't have to worry about whom to breed and whom not to. Once that's done, I'm going to seriously work on downsizing and getting everyone under saddle that's ready. I have 2 babies coming this early summer, and then there will be no more for me. Kinda sad in a way, but at the same time, it's a relief. Less worries about hay, shots, pregnancy care, etc.

Good luck in figuring it out, I struggled with it for quite awhile myself.