Thursday, July 26, 2007

I RODE ON SUNDAY

Such a huge event at my house that it is going to get it's own post.

I received a phone call on Sunday early evening from a guy wanting to come see Sonny as a possible horse for his wife.

After speaking with him, I went outside and grabbed Doyle. "Haul my saddle to the barn - I need to ride Sonny to see what all he remembers".

Not sounding too good yet hey? LOL

Anyways...went out and caught the fat black thing. Brushed him up, tacked him up and climbed aboard. After spending the next 10 minutes adjusting my stirrups (remember I don't ride much)...it was off the races.

Or rather...off to walk very slowly around Sonny's little pasture (which is around the same size as an arena). We did some reversing, leg aide stuff, and even trotted for a minute or two.

It felt really good to be back in the saddle...but I sure wish I had more balance and confidence in myself again. I just am soo unsure of things...especially on the horses here that don't have the miles on them.

BUT I DID IT. And I will do it again this weekend. I will ride Skeena on Saturday afternoon I think (she is Bailey's well broke mare) and then will try Sonny in the afternoon and do both again on Sunday.

No time like the present to get going.

ttfn

Carrie

2 comments:

Paige said...

Good for you--it is so hard to make time to ride when there is so much else to do, huh? But you deserve it, so I hope you keep it up

Elly'sMom said...

Good Job Carrie! It's hard to jump back in the saddle after loosing one's confidence, but you've taken the most important first step and went for it! YAY!! Keep it up! It's great medicine for the soul!