Saturday, May 12, 2007

Semi - medication update (Sat May 12)

Well, after a wonderful time of watching Semi gobble up her grain and molasses last night, it was time to try it with the medication and bute mixed in. Well, took her over an hour to eat her 1/2 cup of grain mixture. Finally added in the remainder of her 13 lbs of grain and left her to it.

Got up this morning to find around 1/2 cup of grain on the ground in her stall this morning beside her pail. Would you believe that she can actually pick out the pieces that are mushy with molasses and not eat them?

I tried it again this morning without making the medication into a paste with water first. Made the pills a powder first then added in about 3 oz of molasses and 1 cc of liquid bute. Poured it on top of her 1/2 cup of grain (and this grain is her favorite senior feed that took me a year to find for this fussy girl)...mixed it up and put it in her stall.

Again, it took her over an hour to eat 1/2 of it.

Took her outside to hose her wound...used a bit more pressure this time and got more of the white film off of it. Will do it again this afternoon and then scrub it with the antiseptic scrub brushes I got from the vet clinic last night.

She did have a small pus pocket on the bottom flap of skin on the larger wound, but it popped on its own with the water pressure.

Semi is still in good spirits but lonely I think as she stands most of the day looking out of the stall towards the pasture where her buddies are.

We do a little bit of walking around the yard so she can eat some grass too. I am hoping that this will help keep things loose (her muscles). She is pretty sore still and her walking sure shows it. She is normally almost pulling me along but now I find I have to slow myself down for her.

I sure hope she continues to recover.

TTFN

Carrie

No comments: