Saturday, May 19, 2007

Injuries are becoming the norm here

Well, after thinking that the worst had happened...we are now dealing with yet another injury here on The Ranch.

I received an e-mail early in the week telling me that Dolly, my other broodmare, had somehow hurt her eye. With no way of getting her to a vet and the vets in the area too busy for a house call, the breeder just did some monitoring of it.

I drove out there today and picked her up and we travelled to the vet clinic. After some sedation etc. the eye was examined. Seems to be a small blunt force trauma. No puncture. So she is on eye drops and ointment for 10 days and in 9 will be back for a re-evaluation.

The eye is cloudy right now but we are optomistic that it will clear. She does seem to still have some vision in it as I noticed tonight in the barn that she was tracking me very well on that side.

In other Dolly news, she is also in foal. While at the vet, we had her ultrasounded, which is rare for her due to her trust issues. Turns out she was carrying twins so we pinched one off. I told the vet to take the one that was not a buckskin filly. LOL

So now I have two horses to keep you all up to date on for their recovery.

Semi is doing very well. She was very high spirited today while out for her short meander around the yard. She bucked and kicked out at her yearling kid when he came too close to the fence. She got a little reprimand - she was on the lead at the time. LOL

She is also still taking her meds like a good girl...and has now taken to helping me put her halter on which has also been a bit of a bone of contention with us. We have upped her grain to the point where she is not chowing down like it is her last meal which is great to see. She is still shedding like crazy - could have helped 3 bald horses by now I am sure.

I am going to take more pics of her wound tomorrow and will post them. They are both looking great. They are sluffing off the first set of scabs right now and the flesh underneath is a nice pink color. No sign of infection at all at this point. The skin flaps are dying off which I was told to expect so we will probably head to the vet late next week to have some more "surgery" done to it as I am just not comfortable doing it myself. What will pull and fall off I am okay with - but to take a pair of scissors to it is just not part of my capabilities. I am just way to worried that I will cut too deep and cause more problems.

TTFN

Carrie

No comments: