Monday, June 18, 2007

A Family Riding Night

Hmmm...going backwards in my timeline...must be getting old. LOL

Last Friday, something strange happened. Doyle came in the house and said "Melissa and I are going riding...can I use your new saddle". I turned away from the computer and went "WHAT???" And being a typical man...he repeated himself word for word.

So out he went, happy as a clam. Now this is a man who will build fences, clean pens, help do farrier, vaccinations and wormings, but NEVER and I mean NEVER asks to go riding.

About 10 minutes later, he comes back into the house and asks which bridle to put on Skeena. I said "isn't Melissa out there". Yup was the answer. I told him that she would tack up for him. So off he trotted again. Another 5 minutes goes by...and he is back in..."Carrie...should I wear jeans...dumb question...going to change". And out the door he went again. Then he is back in again...asking about leg aides. I finally gave up doing what I was doing and went out.

By the time I got out there, he was up and going. Bouncing all over, trying to figure out how to hold the reins...and not fall off. So mini-riding lesson was given...and he did better. Just walked this time though.



Melissa had, in the meantime, caught Ace for his first ride of the year. And she was bareback. I remember being that brave...or is that stupid. I think when you are that young it is brave...now that I am this old...it is stupid.



After giving Doyle his mini lesson and seeing Melissa riding, I got the urge to get up and go too. So I got up on Ace (without proper riding gear - sweats and flip flops for goodness sake) for my first ride of the year as well. See...stupid. Haven't ridden more than 4 times in the last 2 years and here I am bareback on a horse that hasn't been ridden for 2 years. LOL Didn't do too bad. Felt like I was going to fall with every step he took, but didn't. Got a little panicked when he refused to turn and go where I wanted to and he put his head down and started to back up. I really need to get riding more...lol



Doyle switched off with Bailey and her friend, Tamara, in the arena. Bailey hasn't wanted to ride at all but seeing her friend go and how well Skeena worked for her helped Bailey's confidence. It was great to see.

When it was almost dark, Doyle and Melissa took Skeena and Ace for a short ride around the big pasture. I think they enjoyed themselves.

Bailey did really well...so well that she rode again on Saturday with her friend. It is great to see that the bug may have caught her in it's grasp.



TTFN

Carrie

No comments: