Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lucky's vet visit - April 11

After working with Lucky for a week, and not seeing too much improvement, I figured it was time for a vet visit.

It is a tendon injury. Vet isn't sure whether it is just a simple pull or a tear of some sort. But she said she will recover - in 6 - 8 more weeks.

She told me to continue doing everything I have been except for the liniment right on the fetlock joint - but I can put it on the muscles above and the knee and even on her other front leg just to keep the muscles nice and loose and ease any strain they are having from bearing more than their share of the weight.

I asked about how to wrap and showed her what I was using and she said - wrap the quilted pads firmly...then wrap the stable wraps tight. I asked if it mattered which way to wrap as I always get confused and she said that it basically doesn't matter much as the quilted pads will keep me from causing damage to anything else.

I also asked about the bute...told her I was giving 1 cc a day in the morning. She said that is good but if she needs more I can give 1 cc at night. She said if she gets really bad, I can give up to 2.5 cc 2 x per day.

She went over her overall health with me (this, btw, was the same vet that was out last fall and did teeth and then put Semi and Copy down) so is sort of familiar with Lucky. She said Lucky was in great overall condition. Still no overt signs of arthiritis in any of her other joints...no heat or anything either. Looked at her coat and told me to give her a bath as soon as I am able as she is pretty dry skinned from her long coat and blanket wearing (this I already knew). I asked about testing for cushings and she laughed and said "look at her - don't need to test". I asked what to do and she said "just what you are already".

We talked about her feeding schedule and she said to up her grain now that I know what the foot/leg problem is...I had cut it down thinking of founder etc.

Other than that she had no concerns for Lucky's health and said that she could really see her living for a number of years.

So YIPPEE!!!

No comments: