Sunday, August 12, 2007

Trying days for a mom

Hey all,

It has been a long couple of days while on vacation. Got a call from Melissa a few days ago telling us that her cat was limping. She decided, against advice, to give her some advil...not knowing that it was deathly poisonous for cats.

On Friday, we got a frantic phone call from Melissa saying that her cat hadn't moved from the bathroom floor for 2 days and was vomiting all the time...so she got her friend's mom to come out and take her to the vet. Word from the vet wasn't good...kidney damage etc., but that they would also be looking at other possibilities for her being sick.

On Saturday, Melissa called again saying first "I fell last night and think I broke my arm". And then "Princess isn't getting better and the vet said I may have to put her down". At which point, Melissa broke into tears. Princess is her very first pet.

I, being the calm cool collected mom as always, blurted "get your ass to the hospital". Oops...wrong thing to say to an upset hormonal 18 year old. LOL She started to cry harder saying she felt so bad about poisoning her cat and that it would be her fault if the cat died. I calmed down enough to say "you didn't know...and we worried about her". That helped among some other stuff I said. She told me that the vet would be calling her later that day or in the morning.

So she toddled off to the hospital to find that she had, in fact, broken her left arm just above the wrist. She told me that the guy putting on the cast got it a bit tight so he had to split it and in doing so, cut her arm with the cast saw. Stupid small town hospitals. When she told me that I again said "get your ass back to the hospital for a new cast". My girlfriend, who picked her up from home, took her back and spoke with the doctor and the way the cast is split is fine...but I really think when I get home I will take her for a 2nd opinion on that.

Melissa called again this morning. She is home, very sore...but very happy that her kitty, Princess, is home with her and may be on the road to recovery. Vet sent her home with strict instructions on feeding (prescription food etc.) amounts to be fed, how often etc. If she doesn't eat it all in the next 5 days then we could be in trouble. Melissa was also given a list of things to watch for - attitude - lethary etc. She is also to keep track of litter box visits.

So I think Melissa will be a very busy girl this week.

I sure wish I was there to give her a hand. And sure hope that nothing else goes wrong - especially with the horses. Not much I think she will be able to do with a broken arm.

TTFN

Carrie

3 comments:

Paige said...

When it rains it pours huh? Hope the kitty is okay, and Melissa quits pitching over

Lazy A Ranch said...

What doesn't kill us will make us tougher. This is a lesson about the real world for Melissa, she is having to deal with all the issues on her own and it will make her stronger as a person.

Glad to hear the cat is home and hope she continues to improve.

Hope you are have a nice time even with all of the drama going on at home.

Elly'sMom said...

Why do they always do things when we are away? That's what I want to know. My son and daughter get in a massive fight EVERY time I leave here. They are adults, but you would think they are 10. And of course they both have to call us and try to get us to come home. So don't do it Carrie, she will be OK, as much as the mother instinct says go home quick, IGNORE it! Relax, the worst is over and enjoy your vacation! :D I pray the worst is over !!! I hope Princess will be fine and so will Melissa. Poor kid. They'll be OK!