Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hyde worries me

Over the weekend, I noticed that Hyde was "wobbling"...not appearing to be quite steady on his feet. Not walking well...stumbling...not fluid.

His appetite was still good...but he just didn't seem right. With the heart issues of last spring, I was really scared that something was going on. I booked him into the vet right away.

On Wed, we travelled to West Wind Vet Clinic to be met by Dr. Doyle (same vet that helped me so much with Semi). She had gone over his chart and was also concerned that things had worsened. She listened to his heart, lungs and stomach and said things sounded exactly the same. She took his leg pulses, checked his gums etc. And said "hmmm...not the heart."

We then took him for a walk in the clinic so she could try to see what I was seeing...and she said "hmmm...I think he is lame on his left front". So we went back in to the exam room and sure enough - an ABCESS!!! (Which was Paige's guess)

Thank god.

The abcess is located right along the outside of the groove that surrounds the frog. Dr. Doyle dug it out...it is pretty deep. He has lost some of the sole of the hoof that makes up that groove.


His behavior at the clinic was spectacular. I had to help Dr. Doyle by holding a flashlight. I ended up with only 2 inches of lead rope in my hand and he just stood there.

I was sent home with instructions to stall him...soak his foot in warm water and epsom salts 2 x per day and bring him back on Monday if he wasn't better. I may just take him in anyways...better to be safe than sorry.

I wasn't sure how to go about soaking his foot...so it was a trial and error thing this morning for my first try. He was a very good boy...once he realized I wanted him to stand there with his foot in the small pail he did. I am very proud of him and very happy with how smart he is. And also at how well he has retained his training from Jason on how to be a good boy. LOL


No comments: