Friday, February 22, 2008

St. Maarten

We arrived in St. Maarten early on Sunday morning. It looked to be a beautiful day.

We made a quick stop at the Concierge desk to see if she had heard about our luggage before heading off the ship. She said she didn't have much information for us but would be working on things and hoped that the luggage would arrive for us. She told us that the cruiseline and airlines work together to get the luggage to the next port of call in these cases.

So, it was off to St. Maarten. Not to just laze around and do the tourist thing all day...but to shop for the essentials. Like shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits and the like.

Barry and Paige had rented a car...so that was the first stop. Then it was off to the shops. We managed really well to find everything we were looking for...including the ever illusive CARRIE SIZED SHOES. Of which, we found both flip flops for the beach and dressy ones for the dinners!!! All in the first two stores.

We had a blast going from store to store. The shop owners were great...especially the camera store place who charged my camera battery for me for free after finding out that our luggage was missing with our charger in it. It was also neat to see all the beer sellers just on the street with a cooler. LOL

After getting what we felt we needed for a day or two (hopefully not)...we headed to the beachfront for lunch. Then it was off to the JEWELRY store where Paige had found a pendant that she liked in November when her and Barry were on the island. It was a very beautiful "rainbow saffire" one. While I was trying to help her decide which style, I noticed Doyle looking into a display case. I walked over and he was looking at emerald rings. Now...this surprised me. My birthstone is emerald and he knew that I had been looking at rings at home but couldn't find anything that really "tweeked" my interest.

I took a good look and BOOM. It hit me. There it was. A ring that I immediately fell in love with. The salesman came over...took it out...I put it on and IT FIT!!! It was fate. LOL I walked out of the store with it...a 3 month early birthday present. it is a stunning 1/2 carat triangle emerald with 1/8 carat little diamonds in a channel setting (will add a picture later). I am sooo spoiled!!!

Now that the big spending had been done for both us girls (yes, Paige got her pendant and it is very pretty!!), it was time to head to the beach.



Orient beach was absolutely stunning. The water was the prettiest turquoise blue I had ever seen. We got a couple chairs and got comfortable. Paige and I went into "Sexy Fruits"...a store of many "different items" (read - they have little ceramic fruit with people in "sex"y positions under them...lol)...and I bought my zebra print bathing suit. The people in this place were really nice too and gave me a discount on my bathing suit after they heard about my luggage issue.



We spent time in the water - and for me this was a big deal as I am terrified - but I managed without freaking!!!



We also toured down to Pedro's restaurant. It is a cute little place...and separates the "top optional" part of the beach from the "nudist" part of the beach.



Paige and I wandered over to see if there was anything "interesting" to see. There was one guy parading around....I think he thought he was "all that and then some"...but he really wasn't. The deal breaker though was the 70 year old man. Now that is something that NO ONE should have to see. LOL

We then left to head back to the ship. But not without incident. Doyle, not remembering how much he had had to drink and the fact that alcohol and sunshine do not always mix well...had a bit of a hard time getting back to the car without taking a couple tumbles. But he was very proud of himself for not spilling his beer.

Paige took this hilarious pic of us just before we got back to the car.

No comments: