Sunday, February 24, 2008

Grenada

We arrived in Grenada early on Tuesday morning. It was a very windy day but beautiful nonetheless. And the town sure looked nice from the ship.



After a quick breakfast in the "Waterfall Cafe" on board the ship, off we went for a day of adventure. From the pier, we entered a small mall. Inside we were inundated with people asking if we wanted taxi's to go to the beach etc. It was a little tricky to get around.

Paige and Barry found a store to buy camera batteries and I found a cute little sunflower dress for the informal dinners on the ship.

It was then off to hunt for the spices...which is the main export on the island. We had been told the night before to ensure that any spices we bought were "heat sealed" in the bags. Paige had directions but they were a little vague and we ended up headed in the wrong direction. A local man heard us and offered to take us the correct way.

Along the way, we had to travel through this small tunnel...it allowed for one lane of traffic and two people walking along one edge. It was a little intimidating but fun.



We got to the spice store without incident and bought up what we wanted for ourselves and for friends.

Fred, our tour guide, was a great source of history for the island. AFter the spice store, he took us up to Fort George. The walk there was a little "hilly" to say the least. On the walk up to the Fort, Fred showed us the "national flower" the BUTTERCUP.



Fred told us the story of the fort and the assasination of the Prime Minister and his officials in the court yard. There was still evidence of the bullets in the wall.



The fort is now being used as the Police Training Center. In one room, the women were sewing the police uniforms.



We walked up to the outside wall of the courtyard to look at the cannons that lined it to protect the fort in the past. This is Barry and Fred looking at the cannons.



After our grand tour of the island, we headed back to the mall and grabbed a water taxi to head out to Grand Anse Beach.



We had a blast on the beach...with Doyle and I playing with Paige and Barry's snorkeling equipment. This was my big test as I am not a fan of the water sports in any way shape or form. But I had to give it a shot. So we started off on our knees with me just putting my face in the water and getting used to the idea of breathing through the tube. It was terrifying to start with and I kept shaking. We had rented flippers so we put them on so I could move around. I had to really concentrate on my breathing though as I kept hyperventilating. After about 20 minutes, I had had enough...was tired. But I DID IT!!! The true test would be Bonaire the next day.



We laid in the sun...sat under umbrellas through a downpour of rain...enjoyed good food and drink...all brought to us by our beach man. A guitar carrying man came by and sang us a song. It was hysterical...done specifically for us. I have a short video of him that I will try to upload.



Paige and I were also treated to an aloe reflexology treatment on our feet (I also had my back and shoulders done). This gentleman told us that he had studied in Oslo Norway but had come back home to work. It was great.

We had an absolute blast in Grenada...I think I may try to go back.

No comments: