Sunday, January 3, 2010

It's been awhile - AGAIN

Life got hectic this fall.

I started my new job in September thinking "it's something I have done before...how hard can it be". WOW...what an understatement.

This firm is HECTIC...and extremely BUSY with their real estate practice. In the first month I had 12 transactions (closings) for myself. What a steep learning curve. I found myself, and still do at times, sleeping, dreaming work...NOT good. So bad some nights that it would wake me up.

I am enjoying it for the most part...but it is a little more than I had thought I was getting into. I am sure in time (it has been four months now) that I will relax and be able to go with the flow instead of constantly questioning myself.

In other news, Bailey was having a very hard time at school. She attends a junior/senior high school. Lots of DRAMA - as she puts it. Grades were suffering...she was starting to get into trouble. So we have explored the option of "outreach". It is a "correspondence" type of schooling...they do attend 3 days a week and are expected to attend with all assignments completed in their books as if they were there all day every day. It is going really well. The "school" is also only 1 1/2 blocks from my work and the lawyers have made her feel welcome to come and working the lunch room if she wants to or needs to.

The horses, for the most part, are doing really well. Gunner is his "self-centered" self still. Doesn't like any attention...will walk away if you are coming towards his pen and stand with his butt to you (not in a nasty way - but to say "get lost"). It is sad as I have never had a horse like that. The big group finally got out onto the back pasture and are FAT FAT FAT.

We sent Ding for training and she had an accident. One of her own doing. The little "cow" feels like she needs to be the boss in all herds and took on the top girl at Nicole's. Well, she got kicked. Ended up with cellulitis. That took us from Thanksgiving (Oct 10) to almost the end of November to treat. When she was still showing signs of something else possibly being wrong, she went back to the vet. This visit showed us a broken splint bone. So on December 9, she underwent surgery to remove the broken piece. She is now 4 weeks into her recovery and doing marvelously well.

Shayne and Bailey were also going 90 MPH with their bowling this fall. It seemed like we were off to a different tournament every 2nd weekend. While they did not place high enough in any of the tournaments to go on to Provincials, I am very proud of how well they did. Shayne has come a long way in his confidence and he is bouncing back very well from having bad games to good ones instead of just giving up. Bailey is also finding her competitive edge again.

Melissa spent the summer with her boyfriend, Mike, in Saskatchewan while he was working. She also met her bio-paternal grandparents this summer. It was a very emotional time for her. When Mike's job was up in SK, they came home and both started really looking for work. Mike got a job in Fort McMurray at one of the big refinery's up there. Melissa then got work with a sheet-metal company out of Sherwood Park but her work would also put her up in Fort Mac with Mike. They are very happy.

My parents are doing really well this winter...considering. My mom was diagnosed with COPD and congestive heart failure just over 2 years ago. She really struggled for a while - and it didn't help that she has had 3 different doctors. This winter was better for her though it seems.

Dad had an accident in late September. He was up the mountain with the quad getting wood for the winter when the quad moved...he jumped over and grabbed the handle bars and it flipped over on top of him. He pushed it off, got up and walked back to the house - 1/2 mile. When he got back, the neighbors were over and they finally convinced him to go to the hospital where he was diagnosed with 2 non-displaced fractures of the pelvis and a severely separated shoulder. OMG!!! He spent a week in the hospital and then came home with limited help.

He is doing really well now...back to travelling short distances, going shopping etc. Mom was a fantastic nurse and got over, I think, a lot of her fears about doing things on her own.

Doyle is working hard, as always. We have done a little bit more outside - or rather he has. He has also finished my office. We now need to outfit it with a desk. He has also been granted a special project at work which will see him working straight days for a year or so again...this job starts January 12.

There won't be any travelling for us this winter though which makes us sad. We had though about going to Vegas in February but decided against it. We have a few other more important things to spend our funds on right now.

I will be trying to post once a week from now on - it is one of my New Year's Resolutions. My others are to work harder on my eating program...to get in a bit more exercise...do more photography work.

Nothing specific but things to concentrate on.

I wish everyone all the best in 2010. I know for me...I will be really hoping it will be a better year.

No comments: