Sunday, January 17, 2010

One year ago

My family and I were sitting on the beach in Playa Del Carmen enjoying the last day of our two week vacation in Mexico. All was good in the world. Or at least where we were.

At home, Melissa was going through hell. Trying to get a hold of me, spending time on the phone and on the internet with people asking for help and advice.

My old mare, Lucky, was down and dying...and Melissa was horribly lost and afraid.

With help online from Desiree and on the phone from my parents, she made the very hard but adult choice to call the vet and have Lucky put down.

We got back to the hotel and I went to the cyber cafe where, by accident, Paige told me how sorry she was to hear about Lucky's passing. I about fell off my chair as all I had gotten so far at that point from Melissa was "call me NOW".

I went back to our room and fell apart.

It was the hardest day of my life...and would not get any easier for yet a couple more as I had to wait a day and a half to get home.

We said our goodbye's on Monday, Jan 19, 2009.


Lucky will always be remembered for being the most stubbornest thing in the world I have ever owned - be it to be caught or ridden by an experienced rider...but also for being my best friend when life got me down.

She lived the life of a queen...retired from anything at the age of 20. And was just loved and cared for until her death at the amazing age of 33.



I will miss you forever, my beautiful buckskin girl!!!

No comments: